Friday, February 1, 2013

A stylistic genius

Joyce is an exceptionally talented writer. Every word of the novel is perfectly written to show the maturing of Stephen's mind and to exhibit the way that Joyce thinks of Stephen's actions. The symbolism, metaphors, and connections between different scenes in the novel are also incredible.

Upon reading the first scene, I was bewildered by the odd language Joyce used. Now that I've nearly finished the novel and seen the way Joyce matches the language in the book to Stephen's maturity, I'm much more impressed by Joyce than I was three weeks ago.

Joyce's writing has morphed from the choppy thoughts of a young boy to beautiful, powerful, and sometimes musical musings of an intelligent young man. Though sometimes I find it difficult to get through the pages, Joyce's style of writing is so unique that I still enjoy the reading.

When we discuss the novel in class, I'm always amazed at how much hidden meaning I miss. I usually only find about half of the metaphors connections between scenes on my own. I love that moment when something suddenly makes even more sense after someone points out another meaning of the words. This novel has completely changed my thoughts on the coming of age novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment