Friday, May 17, 2013

A Forced Coming of Age

The seniors are graduating, I'm about to become a senior, and summer is on its way. I have mixed feelings about all of these things. I'm excited for the seniors because I know they've worked so hard to get to this point, but I know I'll definitely miss some of them. I'm excited that I'll be a senior, but I'm also dreading the college application process. And last, but definitely not least, I'm excited for summer to begin. It's been a long year, and I definitely need the break.

At the same time, it's a little bit scary that senior year is already here. I don't think I'm ready for college. I'm not really sure about what I want to do with my life, and why should I? I'm only 16. I think that's too early to make decisions about your life. Applying to college makes me feel like I'm being forced to grow up too fast.

Coming of age is a process that is different for each person, but more and more I feel like we're all being forced to come of age at the same time, when we graduate high school. Some high school seniors might be "done" coming of age, and some might not be "ready." Coming of age is a slow process, but our society rushes it. It never really stops, as one can always get more mature, but it shouldn't be forced to happen within the space of one year.

The past week has really made me think about the future. I've gotten close to a few of the seniors this year, and I ca't believe they're going to college, and that my class will be next. The past 4 years at Uni have flown by. There are many times when I find myself wishing that high school was over, but at the same time, I don't know how ready I am to graduate.

1 comment:

  1. You think it goes by fast for you? Try sticking around here for a few years, and seeing class after class come and go. It's sobering, and dizzying at times. This all goes by so fast, and it's hard for young people especially to grasp that. One thing I always think about when we read these novels is how all of these stories, these kids trying to figure out their place in the world, are all already far in the past. They're in their moment, and then it's gone. Novels give readers the same kind of perspective, in a way, that a teacher gets, getting to know class after class and then seeing them disperse . . .

    ReplyDelete